Hey outdoor fans!
The answer to the question is simple: because WRF8 (Weather Research and Forecasting) is the best regional weather model for Europe.
- The WRF was result of a collaborative effort of several agencies and laboratories across the globe in the 1980s.
- It is applicable globally and can take local geography and topography into account with a wide range of different physical parameters and demands vast resources to process.
- Many institutes use the WRF as a base to develop their own regional models, so the WRF is also a codebase for further forecast model processing.
Key information about weather forecast from WRF8:
- Resolution: down to 500 m (8 km in Windy.app).
- Forecast depth: 3 days.
- Step: 3 hours.
- Updates frequency: once a day.