Hey outdoor fans!
Probably you have heard about the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). But what exactly it is? In short words, they are cool guys who make meteorology an international science. Let's call it the "Weather's Boss". Learn 10 quick facts about WMO:
- The WMO is an agency of the United Nations.
- It was founded on 23 March 1950.
- It is responsible for promoting international cooperation on atmospheric science, climatology, hydrology and other meteo topics.
- It works on different strategic plans, disaster risk reduction, global framework for climate services, aviation meteorological services, weather in polar and high mountain regions, and other things.
- As of August 2020, the WMO has a membership of 193 member states and territories.
- Headquartered is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The WMO is governed by the larger organization — World Meteorological Congress.
- The Congress itself is led by an Executive Council led by the President, currently — Gerhard Adrian of Germany.
- It collaborates with nongovernmental partners and international organizations on matters related to environmental protection, climate change, resource manager, and socioeconomic development.
- The World Meteorological Day is the same as a birthday of the WMO and held annually on 23 March.